1) Question: When should we submit the ‘Acceptance Letter’?
The acceptance letter is to be returned to SIWES Directorate or scanned to designated E-mail account at the Department within 2weeks of commencement of IT.
2) Question: Considering the difficulty usually experienced in getting placement, can the timeline of submission of the ‘acceptance letters’ be extended?
Acceptance letters are to be submitted on time, to allow for a minimum of 24 weeks to the completion of Industrial training.
3) Question: What if I don’t get placement on time and cannot meet up with the submission deadline of the acceptance letter and form SPE 1?
SIWES is for 24weeks. The implication is that you are indirectly reporting to the University and ITF that you are likely to be unable to complete your IT within the stipulated period. An extension will therefore imply an extra semester or session as the case may be.
4) Question: Are there ITF Offices in every State in Nigeria?
No. ITF operates ‘Area Offices’. You are to go to the ITF Area, nearest to your placement organization, irrespective of state boundaries. The locations/addresses of the Area Offices are listed on the inner covers of your log- book.
5) Question: How to go about the filling of Form SPE 1
The form is to be completed by the Employer and taken by the student attaché (by hand) to the nearest ITF Area Office.
6) Question: Can SIWES programme be done in two states for some Departments/Courses in the University?
Yes; but only for the Departments so specified in the departmental curriculum. Students are ideally encouraged to serve in one establishment for a continuous period of 24 weeks, except otherwise required by the course curriculum. For example, a student of Nutrition and Dietetics is expected to undergo IT in 2 places (i.e. Hospital and Food Industry). Such students must collect and complete authorization forms to this effect, duly endorsed by their respective Heads of Department and the SIWES Director. The form should be attached to the log-book before submission for verification. Students are therefore not encouraged to change IT locations at random.
7) Question: For students having their IT in two places, are we to submit two copies of Form SPE1 to the nearest ITF branch office?
Yes. The Form SPE1 duly completed by the employer, is to be submitted to the nearest ITF Area office at the commencement of IT in the particular establishment.
8) Question: For the students having the SIWES programme in two different places, how do we go about the submission of the acceptance letter? Are we to submit the acceptance letters together or differently?
The acceptance letter can either be submitted together, if both placements have been secured about the same time, or separately if otherwise.
9) Question: For students having their IT in two places, are we to submit two copies of Form 08 with the log-books?
Yes. Students having their IT in two places are to submit two copies of Form 08 with their log-books, since they are to be assessed by the Industry-based Supervisors in both establishment (in Section B of the form). In addition, such students will be expected to make a photocopy of page 1 of the log-book, on description of the organization to take care of both establishments.
10) Question: Are employers aware of their roles and responsibilities to IT students During the SIWES period.
Yes. Employers should be aware. They are to be further guided by the course objectives as stated in the SIWES pocket-guide. Your IT experience should however not be limited to the core technical skills. Develop and cultivate core soft skills for a successful IT.
11) Question: Is the Student’s SIWES Allowance to Veterinary medical students the same as the amount paid to other students in other Colleges?
Yes. All University undergraduates are paid the same amount (
N15,000.00), irrespective of their course; while students of the Polytechnics and Colleges of Education are paid ( N10,000.00). That is N2,500.00 per month for each student.
12) Question: Why is the allowance not spread and paid monthly during the IT period?
Payments of Student’s SIWES Allowance are made after the due completion and verification of the log-books by ITF officials from JOS headquarters. Payment is processed by the duly completed, collated and verified Form 08.
13) Question: How do we handle irrelevant errands?
How you comport yourself will determine the type of extra-curricular assignment you will be given or errands you’ll be sent. However, your IT experience should not be limited to the acquisition core technical skills alone. Develop and cultivate core soft skills for a successful IT.
14) Question: Am I supposed to complete the front and back of the ‘Technical notes’ or leave it blank?
Every page must be filled and must be legible. Diagrams and procedures can also be put on these pages.
15) Question: For a student whose attachment is at a distant location, the cost implication for submitting the acceptance form might be much. Is there any other platform for submission?
Respective department have been requested to kindly provide an E-mail to students, to which students can send scanned copies (not a picture) of the acceptance letter and SPE 1 form. The departmental SIWES coordinator(s)
will collate and send the copies to the SIWES College representative(s), for onward submission to the SIWES Directorate.
16) Question: For students undergoing IT in distant locations, how will our supervisors visit us in terms of their
transportation and feeding? Are we to cater for it or the supervisor will do so?
Students are not expected to fund SIWES supervision.
17) Question: Why is SIWES six months?
SIWES is six months because that is ITF requirement for all universities.
18) Question: Are we to submit the original placement letter to the establishment where we are seeking placement? If yes, what if we are to work at two places?
Yes. You will have to collect two copies and submit originals in both establishments.
19) Question: Is there any means where by the school can help reduce the stress in getting place of attachment?
The SIWES Committee in FUNAAB is considering organising a ‘Stakeholders Forum’, whereby students can interact with prospective employers in this regard.
20) Question: Is there a curriculum I will need to follow so as to gain all knowledge needed in my work place?
Yes. The Industry-based supervisor is expected to prepare a training plan in collaboration with the student, at the commencement of 24-week period (see page 2 of log-book). They are to be further guided by the course objectives as stated in the SIWES pocket-guide.
21) Question: Is the Government going to pay us for the training?
Yes they will pay after the completed and submitted log-books and Form 08 have been duly verified by ITF officials from Jos headquarters.
22) Question: Are students permitted to undergo their IT outside Nigeria?
Yes. Such students would however be expected to fulfill the requirements stipulated under the section on International Industrial Training (IT) Opportunities in the SIWES pocket-guide.