Admission application for 2017/18 academic session has been extended to Wed,27th September 2017
This is to allow New UTME candidates who have recently changed their first choice of institution to FUNAAB to process their admission application online ... Read more
FUNAAB Appoints New VC, Registrar, Bursar
The Governing Council of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Ogun State, has approved the appointment ... Read more
Oshuntolu, A Great Sport Icon, Says Acting VC
The Acting Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ololade Enikuomehin, has described the late Chief Coach of the University, Victor Oshuntolu... Read more
Advanced Digital Appreciation Workshop for Staff
Staff of the University, drawn across the various departments and units, have undergone intensive training on Advanced Digital... Read more
Don Highlights Importance of Biosciences
A seasoned Professor of Medical Biochemistry, Joseph Olagunju, has enumerated the importance of Biosciences in achieving economic... Read more
Better Days Are Here, Chancellor Assures
The Chancellor of the University and the Obong of Calabar, His Eminence, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi-Otu V, has assured members ... Read more
Landmark University, FMC to Partner FUNAAB
The Vice-Chancellor, Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State; Professor Adeniyi Olayanju, has expressed the intention of his University... Read more
18th Annual Conference NAAE-Abeokuta 2017
Following highly successful National Association of Agricultural Economists (NAAE) conferences in the past, this year’s conference... Read more
Technologists Call for Safe Laboratories
Technologists and laboratory scientists in the University have called for safe and secured laboratories, in order to prevent ... Read more
Acquire Production Skills - DVC (A) Admonishes Students
To boost the chances of FUNAAB students scaling through post-graduation job placements, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor... Read more
Staff School Celebrates
The Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta Staff School, has held the 2017 prize-giving ceremony, which also coincides... Read more
FUNAAB Graduate Becomes Berkman Klein Intern
A graduate of the University from the Department of Plant Physiology and Crop Production, College of Plant Science and Crop Production... Read more
FUNAAB to Get Diabetes Centre
The Board of Trustees, Centre for the Advancement of Research in Diabetes in Nigeria, has concluded plans to establish a... Read more
ADMISSION TO POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES FOR 2016/2017 ACADEMIC SESSION
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission to the following Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degree programmes at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria ... Download Advert | Apply Now
Degree: B. Sc., M. Sc., PhD (In-view)
Telephone Number: +2348036619696; +2348155049222
Department: Biotechnology Centre
Academic Rank:Research Fellow II
Research Interest: Food Microbiology and Biotechnology
OKOLIE, Pius Ifeanyi is a Researcher in the Biotechnology Centre and an adjourn Lecturer in the Department of Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. He specializes in Food Microbiology and Biotechnology.He is the coordinating researchscientistfor the Food Biotechnology Laboratory of the Centre. Mr. Okolie was born in Aba, Abia State, and he is a native of Orsumoghu in Ihiala Local Government of Anambra State, Nigeria. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science and Technology in 2000 from Michael Okpara University of Agriculture,
Umudike, Abia State and Masters of Science degree in Food Microbiology and Biotechnology in 2009 from Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
He joined the services of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) in September, 2010 as a Junior Research Fellow. In conjunction with the Director;Mr. Okolieis a member of the organizing committee for the various training workshops of the Centre on Molecular Biology techniques for participants within and outside the University. He is part of the Research Scientific Team that conducted the first Biotechnology training workshop for the staff of Federal University of Technology, Akure, OndoState in 2013 on Biotechnology and BioSafety. He is also the Bio-Safety deck officer of the Centre and have represented the University on many Bio-Safety workshops/Trainings organized by the Federal Ministry of Environment, Abuja, Nigeria.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION ATTENDED
Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State. 2006 - 2009
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State. 1995 - 2000
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES:
Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST)
American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN)
International Food Safety and Quality Network (IFSQN)
PRIZES, HONOURS, SCHOLARSHIP, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION
a. Dean’s Prize for the Best graduating Student, College of Food Processing and Storage Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
b. Professor E. N. T. Akobundu Prize for Academic Excellence for the Best graduating Student, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
c. IroanyaAkobundu Memorial Prize for the Best graduating Student, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
d. Certificate of Service as Director of Transport in Student Union Government of Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. In 1997/98 Academic Session.
(i) Research completed but not yet published
Effect of Submerged Fermentation periods on the physicochemical quality of Cocoyam Flour.
In vitro Studies on Antimicrobial Activities of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Fresh Vegetables for Biocontrol of Tomato Pathogens.
Development and quality evaluation of cassava fufu flour blended with maize and African Yam Bean seed flours.
(ii) Research in progress:
Microbial characterizationand fermentation dynamics during‘Otiru’processing: fermented African Yam Bean seed condiment.
Diversity of microbial population during fermentation of Cocoyam.
(ii) Articles in Learned Journals
1. Okolie, P. I. and Ojimeluekwe, P. C. (2003): Methods of Improving the Shelf Stability of Zobo Drinks at Ambient Temperature. Journal Sustainable Agricultureand Environment 5 (1): 111-118, June, Published by Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State.
2. Emerenini E. C. and Okolie P. I. (2012): Multi-Drug Resistant Pattern and Plasmid PCR Profile of Escherichia coli and other Gram-Negative Bacteria Isolates from Clinical Specimen in Benin City, Nigeria.African Journal of Microbiology Research. 6(24): 5091-5094, 28 June, 2012.DOI: 10.5897/AJMR11.220 [Article Number: E03508039231].
3. Opara, C. N., Okolie, P. I. and Uzochukwu, S. V. A. (2013): Diversity of bacterial community in fermentation of African Oil Bean seeds (PentaciethramacrophyllaBenth) by comparison of 16S rRNA gene fragments. British Biotechnology Journal. 3(2): 213-220, 3 April, 2013.DOI: 10.9734/BBJ/2013/2518.
4. Emerernini, E. C., Afolabi, O. R., Okolie, P. I. and Akintookun, A. K. (2013): Isolation and molecular characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from fresh fruits and vegetables using nested analysis.British Microbiology Research Journal. 3(3): 368-377, 16 June, 2013.DOI: 10.9734/BMRJ/2013/2520.
5. Ugioro, O., Kadiri, M. , Idrisu, M., Fadimu, O.Y and Okolie, P.I. (2013): Studies on Phytochemical Screening and Enzyme Activities of Composted and UncompostedPleurotuspulmonarius at various Fruit bodies and Substrate Stages. Direct Research Journal of Agriculture and Food Science.Vol.1 (1), pp.1-5, July, 2013.
6. Okolie, P.I, Opara, C. N, Emerenini, E. C. and Uzochukwu, S. V. A. (2013): Evaluation of Bacterial Diversity in Palm Wine by 16S rDNA Analysis of Community DNA. Nigerian Food Journal. Vol 31, Number 1, pp. 83-90, Published by Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology. Available online at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0189724115300606. DOI: 10.1016/S0189-7241(15)30060-6
7. Emerernini, E. C., Afolabi, O. R., Okolie, P. I. and Akintookun, A. K. (2013):In vitro Studies on Antimicrobial Activities of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Fresh Vegetables for Biocontrol of Tomato Pathogens.British Microbiology Research Journal. 4(3): 351-359, December, DOI: 10.9734/BMRJ/2014/5423.
(iii) Journal Articles Accepted for Publication:
1. Okorie, O., Anya, C. O. and Okolie, P. I. Nutritional and Cyanide content Evaluation of Cassava Starch Extraction Residue Meal “Usi” containing Palm Oil.(Accepted for publication in Nigerian Food Journal(NIFOJ) volume 33 No 2, 2015).
(iv) Technical Reports:
1. O. M. Onagbesan and Okolie Pius I. (2012):Scientific Evidence of the Safety of GMO Foods. Presented to a meeting of the Working Group on Biotechnology/Genetically Modified Foods, organized by Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Abuja, Nigeria.
CONFERENCES/TRAINING WORKSHOP ATTENDED
a. 10th Short Summer Course in Basic Molecular Biology Techniques for DNA Technology, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. 15th – 26th October, 2007.
b. 21st Annual Conference of Biotechnology Society of Nigeria, UNAAB 2008, 16th -19th July, 2008.
c. 2nd DNA Fingerprinting Workshop, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. 25th – 29th July, 2011.
d. Introductory Bioinformatics Workshop, Inqababiotec, South Africa in conjunction with Bioscience lab, IITA, Ibadan, 6th – 8th December, 2011.
e. Biosafety Risk Assessment, Biosafety Risk Management and Biosafety Risk Communication Workshop, Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria in conjunction UNEP/GEP, 5th – 9th March, 2012.
f. Training to Strengthen Regulatory Capacity for Confined Field Trial (CFT) Inspection, Compliance and Communication in Nigeria; ABNE/NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, in conjunction with Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria, 5th -7th June, 2012.
g. Training to Strengthening Regulatory Capacity of Institutional Biosafety Committees (IBCs) in Nigeria; ABNE/NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, in conjunction with Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria, 1st -3rd April, 2014.
h. Advanced Digital Appreciation Programme for Tertiary Institutions (ADAPTI); Digital Bridge Institute (International Centre for Information and Communications Technology Studies) at Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, February 29th – March 04th 2016.