Call for Applications for a Training Workshop on Policy Communication
The Training course is organized by the Centre for Agricultural Development and Sustainable Environment (CEADESE)... Read more
FUNAAB Wins Another Foreign Grant
The University has added another feather to its cap by winning a new grant for research. The grant is called M-BOSs, ... Read more
Handle Rugs With Proper Care - Professor Bankole
Professor Olufunmilayo Bankole of the Department of Microbiology, College of Bio-sciences (COLBIOS) of the University, ... Read more
CEADESE Hosts NUC Accreditation Team
The Centre of Excellence in Agricultural Development and Sustainable Environment (CEADESE), recently received a team from the ... Read more
FG Inaugurates New Governing Council for FUNAAB
The Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, has inaugurated a new Governing Council for the ... Read more
US Government to Partner FUNAAB
The United States of America government, through its representatives from the American Embassy in Nigeria... Read more
FUNAAB Hosts NIPSS Participants
The University recently hosted participants of the Senior Executive Course (Sec) No. 39 from the National... Read more
Student Affairs, Environmental Unit Get Vehicles
Rising from its resolve to buy two utility vehicles for the Student Affairs Division and the Environmental Unit... Read more
2015/2016 ACADEMIC STAFF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT GRANT: EXTENSION OF CLOSING DATE
This is to bring to the notice of all academic staff that the closing date for the submission of application for the... Read more
VC Calls for Measures to Control Climate Change
he Vice-Chancellor, Professor Olusola Oyewole, has charged members of the public to control the activities responsible for .....Read more
ADMISSION TO POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES FOR 2016/2017 ACADEMIC SESSION
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission to the following Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degree programmes at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria ... Download Advert | Apply Now
Degree: B. Sc., M. Sc., PhD (In-view)
Telephone Number: +2348036619696; +2348155049222
Department: Biotechnology Centre
Academic Rank:Research Fellow II
Research Interest: Food Microbiology and Biotechnology
OKOLIE, Pius Ifeanyi is a Researcher in the Biotechnology Centre and an adjourn Lecturer in the Department of Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. He specializes in Food Microbiology and Biotechnology.He is the coordinating researchscientistfor the Food Biotechnology Laboratory of the Centre. Mr. Okolie was born in Aba, Abia State, and he is a native of Orsumoghu in Ihiala Local Government of Anambra State, Nigeria. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science and Technology in 2000 from Michael Okpara University of Agriculture,
Umudike, Abia State and Masters of Science degree in Food Microbiology and Biotechnology in 2009 from Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
He joined the services of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) in September, 2010 as a Junior Research Fellow. In conjunction with the Director;Mr. Okolieis a member of the organizing committee for the various training workshops of the Centre on Molecular Biology techniques for participants within and outside the University. He is part of the Research Scientific Team that conducted the first Biotechnology training workshop for the staff of Federal University of Technology, Akure, OndoState in 2013 on Biotechnology and BioSafety. He is also the Bio-Safety deck officer of the Centre and have represented the University on many Bio-Safety workshops/Trainings organized by the Federal Ministry of Environment, Abuja, Nigeria.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION ATTENDED
Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State. 2006 - 2009
Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State. 1995 - 2000
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES:
Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST)
American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN)
International Food Safety and Quality Network (IFSQN)
PRIZES, HONOURS, SCHOLARSHIP, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION
a. Dean’s Prize for the Best graduating Student, College of Food Processing and Storage Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
b. Professor E. N. T. Akobundu Prize for Academic Excellence for the Best graduating Student, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
c. IroanyaAkobundu Memorial Prize for the Best graduating Student, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. 1999/2000 Session.
d. Certificate of Service as Director of Transport in Student Union Government of Michael Opara University of Agriculture, Umudike. In 1997/98 Academic Session.
(i) Research completed but not yet published
Effect of Submerged Fermentation periods on the physicochemical quality of Cocoyam Flour.
In vitro Studies on Antimicrobial Activities of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Fresh Vegetables for Biocontrol of Tomato Pathogens.
Development and quality evaluation of cassava fufu flour blended with maize and African Yam Bean seed flours.
(ii) Research in progress:
Microbial characterizationand fermentation dynamics during‘Otiru’processing: fermented African Yam Bean seed condiment.
Diversity of microbial population during fermentation of Cocoyam.
(ii) Articles in Learned Journals
1. Okolie, P. I. and Ojimeluekwe, P. C. (2003): Methods of Improving the Shelf Stability of Zobo Drinks at Ambient Temperature. Journal Sustainable Agricultureand Environment 5 (1): 111-118, June, Published by Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State.
2. Emerenini E. C. and Okolie P. I. (2012): Multi-Drug Resistant Pattern and Plasmid PCR Profile of Escherichia coli and other Gram-Negative Bacteria Isolates from Clinical Specimen in Benin City, Nigeria.African Journal of Microbiology Research. 6(24): 5091-5094, 28 June, 2012.DOI: 10.5897/AJMR11.220 [Article Number: E03508039231].
3. Opara, C. N., Okolie, P. I. and Uzochukwu, S. V. A. (2013): Diversity of bacterial community in fermentation of African Oil Bean seeds (PentaciethramacrophyllaBenth) by comparison of 16S rRNA gene fragments. British Biotechnology Journal. 3(2): 213-220, 3 April, 2013.DOI: 10.9734/BBJ/2013/2518.
4. Emerernini, E. C., Afolabi, O. R., Okolie, P. I. and Akintookun, A. K. (2013): Isolation and molecular characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from fresh fruits and vegetables using nested analysis.British Microbiology Research Journal. 3(3): 368-377, 16 June, 2013.DOI: 10.9734/BMRJ/2013/2520.
5. Ugioro, O., Kadiri, M. , Idrisu, M., Fadimu, O.Y and Okolie, P.I. (2013): Studies on Phytochemical Screening and Enzyme Activities of Composted and UncompostedPleurotuspulmonarius at various Fruit bodies and Substrate Stages. Direct Research Journal of Agriculture and Food Science.Vol.1 (1), pp.1-5, July, 2013.
6. Okolie, P.I, Opara, C. N, Emerenini, E. C. and Uzochukwu, S. V. A. (2013): Evaluation of Bacterial Diversity in Palm Wine by 16S rDNA Analysis of Community DNA. Nigerian Food Journal. Vol 31, Number 1, pp. 83-90, Published by Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology. Available online at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0189724115300606. DOI: 10.1016/S0189-7241(15)30060-6
7. Emerernini, E. C., Afolabi, O. R., Okolie, P. I. and Akintookun, A. K. (2013):In vitro Studies on Antimicrobial Activities of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Fresh Vegetables for Biocontrol of Tomato Pathogens.British Microbiology Research Journal. 4(3): 351-359, December, DOI: 10.9734/BMRJ/2014/5423.
(iii) Journal Articles Accepted for Publication:
1. Okorie, O., Anya, C. O. and Okolie, P. I. Nutritional and Cyanide content Evaluation of Cassava Starch Extraction Residue Meal “Usi” containing Palm Oil.(Accepted for publication in Nigerian Food Journal(NIFOJ) volume 33 No 2, 2015).
(iv) Technical Reports:
1. O. M. Onagbesan and Okolie Pius I. (2012):Scientific Evidence of the Safety of GMO Foods. Presented to a meeting of the Working Group on Biotechnology/Genetically Modified Foods, organized by Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Abuja, Nigeria.
CONFERENCES/TRAINING WORKSHOP ATTENDED
a. 10th Short Summer Course in Basic Molecular Biology Techniques for DNA Technology, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. 15th – 26th October, 2007.
b. 21st Annual Conference of Biotechnology Society of Nigeria, UNAAB 2008, 16th -19th July, 2008.
c. 2nd DNA Fingerprinting Workshop, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta. 25th – 29th July, 2011.
d. Introductory Bioinformatics Workshop, Inqababiotec, South Africa in conjunction with Bioscience lab, IITA, Ibadan, 6th – 8th December, 2011.
e. Biosafety Risk Assessment, Biosafety Risk Management and Biosafety Risk Communication Workshop, Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria in conjunction UNEP/GEP, 5th – 9th March, 2012.
f. Training to Strengthen Regulatory Capacity for Confined Field Trial (CFT) Inspection, Compliance and Communication in Nigeria; ABNE/NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, in conjunction with Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria, 5th -7th June, 2012.
g. Training to Strengthening Regulatory Capacity of Institutional Biosafety Committees (IBCs) in Nigeria; ABNE/NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, in conjunction with Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria, 1st -3rd April, 2014.
h. Advanced Digital Appreciation Programme for Tertiary Institutions (ADAPTI); Digital Bridge Institute (International Centre for Information and Communications Technology Studies) at Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, February 29th – March 04th 2016.