Degree: B. Sc., Ph. D
Dept: Crop Protection
Academic Rank: Professor
Current Position: Dean, Postgraduate School
ACADEMIC DEGREE WITH DATE
• Ph. D, 1987
• B. Sc., 1974
INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED WITH DATE
• University of Ibadan, 1987
• University of Ibadan, 1974
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
• President, Nigerian Society for Plant Protection (2000 – 2005)
• Member, Society of Nematologists (U.S.A)
• Member, Afro- Asian Society of Nematologists
• Member, African Crop Science Society
• Member, Agricultural Society of Nigeria
PRIZES, HONOURS, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION
• Ford Foundation Summer Research Scholarship of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture 1973.
• Ford Foundation Research Fellowship of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture 1975
• Membership of the International Meloidogyne Project, North Carolina State University/ United States Agency for International Development Contract No AID/ta-c-1234. 1981-1982
• Membership of the International Crop Nematode Research & Control Project of the North Carolina State University/ United States Agency for International Development Cooperative Agreement No DAN-4149-A-00-4054-00, PROJECT No 936-4149. (1984- 1991)
• Travel Grant to the 8th International Cocoa Research Conference in Colombia, South America 1981
• Visiting Grant to the Cocoa Research Institute of Brazil, Itabuna, Brazil, 1981
• Travel Grant to the 9th International Cocoa Research Conference in Togo 1984
• Travel Grant to the 6th African Crop Science Society Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, October, 2001
• Departmental Nomination for Ogun State Governor’s Decoration as a Disciplined Staff under the War against Indiscipline (WAI) Programme of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1984.
• Commendation by the Senate of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, for leadership role in successfully pioneering and implementing the Farm Practical Year Programme for the training of Bachelor of Agriculture Students in practical farming under very difficult circumstances and constraints (1990)
i) Thesis and Dissertations
1. AFOLAMI S.O. 1974. The effect of Neem Leaf extract on Population levels of Pratylenchus sp. and on the growth and yield of maize. B.Sc. Project Report, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, 1974
2. AFOLAMI S.O. 1987. Some aspects of the biology, host range and parasitism of Pratylenchus sefaensis Fortuner 1973 on maize in Nigeria. Ph.D thesis, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
ii) In Refereed International Conference Proceedings and Journals
3. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1981. Changes in nematode types and population levels in the first two years of Cocoa establishment in a field inter-cropped with yam, maize and cassava for six months. Proceedings, 8th International Cocoa Research Conference, Cartagena, Colombia, South America, 18–24 October 1981. Pp. 301-306.
4. AFOLAMI S.O. 1981. Symptoms of root-knot nematode infection on Theobroma cacao. Proceedings 3rd International Conference on Root-Knot Nematodes, Meloiodgyne spp. International Meloidogyne Project (IMP), International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Pp 148-156. November 16-20, 1981.
5. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1984. Screening of Theobroma cacao germplasm for resistance to a root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita. Proceedings, 9th International Cocoa Research Conference, Lome, Togo. Feb 12-18, 1984. Pp 237-242
6. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1993. The effect of Basamid Granular (Dazomet) on nematodes parasitic on cocoa seedlings in the nursery. Proceedings: 11th International Cocoa Research Conference, Yamoussoukro, Cote d’Ivoire, 18-24 July 1993.
7. *AFOLAMI, S.O., and ORISAJO S.B. (2003). Effect of Meloidogyne incognita (Kofoid & White) Chitwood on growth and yield of some NERICA and Asian upland rice varieties. Proceedings, 6th African Crop Science Society Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, October 12-18, 2003. (In Press, but gallery proof received for correction and returned since August 2004).
8. *FADEMI, O.A., AFOLAMI, S.O. and ADEGBITE, A.A. (2003)
Identifying resistance to root-knot nematode in interspecific rice lines in Nigeria. Proceedings of the Second biennial Regional Rice Research Review, 9-12 April 2002. Edited by S. Sanyang, A. Ajayi and A.S. Sy 2003. WARDA Proceedings Series no 2 Vol. 154-160.
9. EGUNJOBI O.A. and AFOLAMI S.O. 1976. Effects of Azadirachta indica leaf extracts on the population of Pratylenchus brachyurus and on the growth and yield of Zea mays. Nematologica 22, 125-132
10. AFOLAMI S.O. and F. E. CAVENESS 1983. The frequency of occurrence and geographical distribution of plant-parasitic nematodes associated with Theobroma cacao L in Nigeria Turrialba 33 (i): 97-10
11. AFOLAMI, S.O. and B. FAWOLE 1991. Effect of Pratylenchus sefaensis Fortuner 1973 on the growth and yield of Zea mays L cv FARZ-7 under continous cropping. Plant & Soil 138: 133-138
12. AFOLAMI, S.O. and J.J. ATUNGWU (1999). Field Evaluation of some breeding lines of soybean in Nigeria. Tropical Oil Seed Journal, Vol 4, 116-120
13. AFOLAMI, S.O. and J.J. ATUNGWU (2000). Reactions of four elite varieties of soybean, Glycine max, to root-knot nematodes, Meloidogyne incognita, in SW Nigeria. Tropical Oilseed Journal, Vol. 5: 2-9.
14. AFOLAMI, S.O. (2000). Suggestions for the improvement of current methods of screening germplasm for resistance to root-knot nematodes. International Journal of Nematology, Vol. 10: 94-100
15. SOSANYA, O.S. and AFOLAMI, S.O. (2001). On- farm survey of plant parasitic nematodes in Maize/Cassava mixture and sole cassava fields in Ogun State. The Ogun Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol. 1 pp 187-200.
16. OKELEYE, K.A.; ATAYESE, M.O. and AFOLAMI, S.O. (2001).
Storage techniques for preserving cassava stems in the savanna-forest transition zone of Nigeria. The Ogun Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol. 1 pp 180-186.
17. AFOLAMI, S.O. and S.O. ADIGBO (2001). The effect of root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne sp) on growth and yield of four accessions of Abelmoschus caillei (A. Chev) Stevels. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 18: 48-55.
18. AFOLAMI, S.O. and J. J. ATUNGWU. (2001). Correlation studies on Meloidogyne incognita- induced root-galls and some growth parameters of four elite varieties of Glycine max (L.) Merril. Tropical Oil Seed Journal Vol. 6: 93-97
19. ATUNGWU, J.J. and S.O.AFOLAMI (2001). Field assessment of the resistance of some Glycine max (L.) Merril lines and varieties to Meloidogyne spp using a combination of gall index and grain yield. Tropical Oil Seed Journal Vol. 6: 41-49
20. *AFOLAMI, S.O. (2001). Life cycle and morphometric studies on Pratylenchus sefaensis Fortuner 1973. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 19: 43-55.
21. *AFOLAMI, S.O. (2002). Further evidence of the need to adopt the new method of study and reporting resistance to root-knot nematodes, Meloidogyne spp. International Journal of Nematology, 12: 79-84
22. *AFOLAMI, S.O. (2003). Searching for resistance to root-knot nematodes: the case of NERICA upland rice compared with some elite Asian varieties in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 20: 25-40
23. *ATUNGWU, J.J; AFOLAMI, S.O. and AFOLABI, G.T. (2003). Preliminary investigation of some beniseed, Sesamum indicum L. genotypes for their host status to a root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 20: 67-75
24. *AFOLAMI, S.O.; ORISAJO, S.B. and FADEMI, O.A.(2003). Comparative effects of root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita, on yield performance of seven Asian rice and thirteen Oryza sativa/O. glabeerima interspecific progenies. International Rice Research Notes, 28(1): 21-24
25. *AFOLAMI, S.O.; ATUNGWU, J. J., ORISAJO, S.B. and ODEYEMI, S. (2004). Going beyond gall index in studying and reporting resistance to root-knot nematodes. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 21: 25- 32
26. *ATUNGWU, J.J; AFOLAMI, S.O., ASAFO-ADJEI B., and COYNE, D. (2004). Penetration and differential emigration and development of Meloidogyne incognita juveniles infecting the roots of resistant and susceptible soybean, Glycine max (L.) Merril Genotypes. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 21: 73-79
27. *ATUNGWU, J.J; AFOLAMI, S.O. and ASAFO-ADJEI B. (2005). Response of dual purpose soybeans to root-knot nematodes Meloidogyne incognita. International Journal of Nematology, 15 (1): 35-42
iii) Technical Reports
28. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1973. Nematode- Weed survey at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan. A summer research project report. IITA Library iii + 22pp.
29. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1992. Acarus siro as stored product pests in Nigeria. A technical report for the improvement of raw material storage and shelf life of some manufactured products. 6pp
30. AFOLAMI, S.O. 1998. All – year round vegetable production. 6pp
31. Member, UNAAB Consultancy Team for the design and formulation of project document for National Agricultural Land Development Authority (NALDA), Lagos State. 1994 Vol. 1 & 2
Last Updated on November 30, 2010 by admin