COURSE CODE: PCP 301
COURSE TITLE: CROP PRODUCTION 1
NUMBER OF UNITS: 3 UNITS
COURSE DURATION: Five hours per week
Course Coordinator: Dr (Mrs) Joy Nwakaego Odedina B. Sc., M.Agric., PhD
Office Location: Room 151, COLPLANT
1. Manures and Fertilizers. Fertilizer usage.
2. Mineral nutrition of crop plants and deficiency symptoms. Maintenance of soil fertility.
3. Agronomic groupings of crop plants and their characteristics: cereals, legumes, root crops, tuber crops, forage crops, oil crops, fibre crops, beverage crops, sugar crops, fruit and vegetable crops, rubber, cover crops and stimulants. Crop management practices: site selection, land preparation, seeding, fertilizer application, weed, insect and disease management, harvesting, processing, utilization and produce storage for arable and plantation crops.
4. Ecological distribution of crops in Nigeria.
5. Farming system, cropping systems and cropping patterns
6. World, African and Nigerian food production problems and potential solutions. Climatic, economic and social conditions affecting crop distribution and growth.
7. Water requirement of crop plants: hydrophytes, mesophytes, xerophytes.
8. Irrigation: types, purposes, methods and problems.
Fertilizer identification and calculation. Crop seed identification. Seed structure and vegetative morphology of cereals, legumes, fibres, root and tuber crops. Identificatiobn of some diseases, weeds and insect pests of some crops. Effects of light on plant growth. Effects of varying moisture levels on plant growth.