Professor Babatunde A. ADEWUMI has post graduation professional and academic experiences of over 25 years. He obtained Bachelor of Science (BSc.) and Master of Science (MSc.) degrees at the University of Ibadan in 1986 and 1988 respectively in Agricultural Engineering. He obtained his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Agricultural Engineering at the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria in 2005. He has been privileged to work at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (1988 – 2008); University of Ilorin, Iliorin (2000 – 2001), Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India (2005 – 2006); and Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (2008 to date). His major areas of research focus include:
Development of machines for handling animal and crop materials
Storage of crop materials
Aerodynamic modeling and trajectories of material flow in cross flow systems
Classification of heterogeneous materials in horizontal air flow
Material transport in air
Professor Adewumi rose through the ladder of academic prowess to become a Professor of Food Engineering in 2008. As an erudite scholar, he has a great wealth of research experience which culminated into over 100 academic publications in reputable journals, peer reviewed conference proceedings, books, technical reports etc. He has also developed an aerodynamic model for determining the dimensions of grain classifier and for particle dynamics studies. He has supervised over 200 undergraduate and post graduate students. As an international scholar, Professor Adewumi has won many national and international scholarship/award/recognition such as United Nations University (UNU) Fellowship for advanced research in food engineering in 2005 and awards of excellence by the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Abeokuta Branch and Nigerian institution of Agricultural Engineers, Ondo State Branch in 2008 and 2012 respectively. He is editor and reviewer for several reputable journals. He has served and serving as external examiner for undergraduate and post graduate programes for many polytechnics and universities both witin and outside Nigeria.
Professor Adewumi is a Fellow of the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers and Nigerian Society of Engineers; and member of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Association of Food Scientists and Technologists, India and the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology. He has developed over 30 agro-food processing machines and original inventions, many of which were published in reputable journals.
Professor Adewumi has served served in many committees in the University system. He was the Head of the Department of Agricultural Engineering Department at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta for 4 years (2008 to 2012). He was a member of the immediate past Governing Board of the National Center for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM), Ilorin. He is the current National Chairman of the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers and a member of the National Executive Committee and Council of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. He is the current Chief Inspector of the Ogun State Engineering Regulation Monitoring for the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria. Professor Adewumi is a member of the team that drafted the document that won the centre of excellence in Agriculture and sustainable environment in 2013 for the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
Some of his recent scientific publications include:
- Waheed, M.A., Oni, A.O., Adejuyigbe, S.B., Adewumi, B.A., and Fadare, D.A. 2014. Performance enhancement of vapor recompression heat pump. Applied Energy 114: 69–79. UK.
- Adewumi B. A. 2013. Strategies for transforming agricultural sector of the Nigerian economy. Proceedings of the International Engineering Conference and AGM of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, Nigeria. December 9 – 14, 2013.
- Adewumi, B. A. 2012. Transformation from field to food materials: Agro-food process engineering approach. 36th Inaugural Lecture Series of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. Pp 126 – 106. www.unaab.edu.ng/download/Prof.%20Babatunde%20Adewale%20Adewumi
- Adewumi B.A, 2012. Process equipment design. Specially invited article in the maiden edition of Process Equipment Plant Magazine: A publication of the Raw Material Research & Development Council, Nigeria. 1: 1-10
- Ogedengbe, T.S., Adejuyigbe, S.B., Ismaila, S.O., Adewumi, B.A., and Ali, D.M. (2012). Computer Aided Plant Layout Development for an Aluminum Product Factory. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology. 13 (1): 358 – 371. http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/PJST13_1_358.pdf.
- Adewumi, B. A. 2010. Important engineering issues in the post harvest technology and quality assurance for fruits and vegetables in Africa. In: Biotechnology Development and threat of climate change in Africa: The case of Nigeria (Vol. 2), Adebooye, C. A., Taiwo, K. A. and Fatufe, A. A (Eds.). Book Project of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation published by Cuvillier Verlag Gottingen, Pp 53-62 Germany.
- Adewumi, B. A. 2009. Agricultural and food process engineering in Nigeria: Trends, challenges and prospects. Journal of Science, Food and Hospitality. 1 (1): 6-12. Nigeria.
- Mangaraj, S., Singh, R and Adewumi, B. A. 2009. Wild caster (Jatropha curcas, L): A viable raw material for bio- diesel production in developing nations. Raw Material Update. 2(2): 32-34. Nigeria
- Adewumi, B. A. 2008. Engineering education for agricultural and rural development in Africa. European Journal of Engineering Education 33(3): 321-330. http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a794481560~db=all~order=page. Uk.
- Mangaraj, S., Singh, R and Adewumi, B. A. (2008). Impact of milling techniques on the particle size distribution of turmeric powder. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 45 (5): 416–419. www.afsti.in/art_journ_jfst.php?journalid=12 – 95k. India.
- Adewumi, B. A., O. C. Ademosun and A. S. Ogunlowo. 2007a. Design, fabrication and preliminary testing of a thresher-cleaner for legume. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 44(3): 276-280. http://www.afsti.in/art_journ_jfst.php?journalid=2. India.
- Adewumi, B. A. 2007b. Modeling the performance of a manually operated legume dehuller using dimensional analysis technique. Botswana Journal of Engineering. 16 (2): 29 – 35. Botswana.
- Adewumi, B. A. 2007c. Effect of some crop parameters on the performance characteristics of a manually operated plantain chipping machine. Botswana Journal of Engineering 16 (2): 23 – 28. Botswana.
Last Updated on April 27, 2014 by admin