Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
The realization of the need for adequate management of the farm business informed the establishment of the Department of Agricultural Management of the then Federal University of Technology, Abeokuta (FUTAB). It is one of the programmes that survived the various transformations prior to the establishment of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta in 1988.
The Department of Agricultural Management metamorphosed into the Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta in 1988. It is presently one of the four Departments in College of Agricultural Management and Rural Development (COLAMRUD).
Since its inception, the Department makes substantial input into the B.Agric. programme, and currently offers full-time and part-time programmes leading to the award of B.Agric. in Agricultural Economics and Farm Management. It also offers Postgraduate programmes leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Professional Masters Degree, M. Agric. and Ph.D in various specialty areas of Agricultural Economics, and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) – Agribusiness. Academic Session, the Department commenced.
Steps are also being taken for the commencement of Bachelor of Science Degree programmes in Environmental & Resource Economics, Agribusiness Management & Finance, and Food Economics & Consumer Studies, in the nearest future.
The Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management was established to provide high quality Economic and Farm Management input into the Bachelor of Agriculture Degree programme that befits the institution’s stature as a University of Agriculture.
The Department strives to instil in its students the discernment, intellectual curiosity, knowledge and skills essential for their individual development in the farm/food sector and agricultural management. The training offered by the Department is designed to cultivate and enhance the potential of individuals, irrespective of their areas of specialization, for global leadership, productivity and competiveness.
The Department also participates in international efforts to alleviate world poverty and hunger, and prepare students and academic staff to be productive and responsible citizens of Nigeria in particular and the world at large.
In order to achieve the above stated mandate, the Department addresses itself towards achieving the following objectives:
- To develop managerial knowledge and skills needed for job entry and private practice in the farm, agribusiness, food services and allied sectors, and/or to pursue further training in the subject area.
- To make the Department a centre of excellence in training, research and extension services in Agricultural Economics, Food Policy Analysis and Agribusiness Management as well as Environmental and Resources Economics.
- To focus research efforts on areas of relevance to our immediate environment and the local and global food situations.
- To encourage inter-disciplinary cooperation in research among staff and other external affiliations.
- To train competent managers for the agro-industrial sector, government establishments and society, who are sensitive to socio-economic needs and dedicated to providing solutions to pressing food security and economic problems of the country.
MANDATES AND ACTIVITIES
The mandate of the Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management is to teach and conduct research in all aspects of agricultural management and food policy analysis, and extend the knowledge to the immediate and remote environment.
In this pursuit, teaching, research and extension activities in the Department are, organized under three (3) Academic Units, namely:
- Agricultural Economics & Farm Management (AEFM) Unit
- Agribusiness & Food Economics (AFEC) Unit
- Environmental and Resource Economics (EREC) Unit