College of Animal Science and Livestock Production
The College of Animal Science and Livestock Production (COLANIM) was created in 1988 out of the then School of Technology of the old College of Science and Technology, Abeokuta.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
The Departments in the College offer undergraduate programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Agriculture. The Departments aim at training skilled manpower for sustainable food production and natural resource management. The human resources and facilities in the Departments make the development of these experts possible through the undergraduate programme of the Department.
The primary philosophy that guides the training of students is the production of skilled manpower that is adequately furnished with the comprehensive information required, for engaging in economic
Such knowledgeable professional manpower has to be produced in an atmosphere with the widest possible human and material resources, through the adoption of effective techniques of instruction and exposure to the actual practice of agriculture. Consequently, there are opportunities for formal training at the Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels for the acquisition of basic and higher degrees respectively.
These training programmes are mounted through classroom instruction, laboratory practical, field demonstration, and workshop practice. Deriving from the foregoing philosophy, the major objectives of the university, among others are:
- To assist in the attainment of self-sufficiency in the production of basic food.
- To contribute to the achievement of the goal of marked increase in the production of agricultural raw-materials to support the growth of our several industries.
- To enhance the production and processing of export produce with emphasis on relevant, appropriate and manageable technology to modernize agricultural production, processing, storage, preservation and distribution.
- To enhance the rural employment opportunities and the attendant improvement of the quality of rural life.
- To evolve effective ways of protecting agricultural land resources from ecological degradation such as erosion and pollution.
- To develop new patterns of agricultural management through increase in Agriculture leadership willing to innovate and show spirit of adventure, increase reliance on the use of business techniques and banking facilities in the production and marketing processes.