Department of Economics
The general philosophy underlying Economics programme is to develop the mind through impartation of theoretical and practical knowledge to enable graduates of the Department acquire skills and ability to function in the academics, industries, public sector at national and international levels.
To build great future leaders and generate knowledge through research and intellectually stimulating environment for teaching, learning and community outreach towards sustainable development.
To be a centre of excellence in knowledge generation for global development and the sustenance of an environmentally friendly society.
- Dedicated to fostering an academic community in which the learning and scholarship of every member may flourish;
- The diverse and multi-cultural community with professionalism, sensitivity and respect;
- The proximity to the arteries of industry, transportation and communication without the externality;
- The location creates a workplace environment that encourages the development of professional and personal growth and integrity.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME
The principal objective of the programme in Economics is to produce world class graduates of economics with strong academic foundation and skill to handle contemporary economic issues and policies.
The specific objectives of the degree programme in Economics are:
- To provide a strong foundation in economic theory;
- To equip students with appropriate tools of economic analysis; and
- To develop in students a range of useful knowledge and skills that will be useful to themselves and the society at large.