Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics is an off-shoot of the defunct Department of Mathematical Sciences which was established in 1983 as one of the foundation Departments of College of Natural Sciences of the then Federal University of Technology, Abeokuta, FUTAB. The Department was one of the Departments that survived the various transitions prior to the establishment of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta in 1988.
The Department offers programmes leading to the award of Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science and Doctor of Philosophy Degrees in Mathematics.
The Department over the years has been able to produce good quality graduates who are now occupying various positions in the industries and academics. Many of our B.Sc. graduates have been offered various scholarships to pursue postgraduate Degrees in Europe and America.
Staff of the Department are in the forefront in their various research areas. A notable number of our staff members have been awarded various forms of Research fellowships in almost every part of the globe. This is apart from the fact that our expertise has been sort and obtained to contribute to the development of Mathematics in Africa in general and Nigeria in particular.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
Mathematics is a subject of varied features ranging from intrinsic beauty to its usefulness with wide-scope of applications in science, engineering, technology and social sciences. This mathematics programme is designed for students who are interested in these features. The curriculum has been carefully planned to equip the students with a broad knowledge from various aspects of mathematics.
The curriculum assist the students to specialize according to their own aptitude in pure mathematics or in an applied area of mathematics. The main goals of the programme are:
- to train professional mathematician to reason rigorously and logically, as well as to be objective and analytical. This can easily make our graduates branch out to be successful in business, system analysis or financial sector.
- to train mathematicians to pursue the study of scientific and technological problems by mathematical techniques and to undertake research in various branches of mathematics.
- to give instructions in mathematics to those who require it in some other course of study in the various Departments of the University.
- to train highly skilled mathematician who will be able to translate some of the abstract concepts into reality and use same in solving some emerging National problems.
- to train graduates who are not only qualified in the core subjects but have a good overall ability in the applied mathematics. This will serve them well in many employment fields such as teaching, finance, software development and research.