FUNIS is a co-educational, day and boarding secondary school situated on a part of the vast expanse of land owned by the University. The International School welcomes all comers into the territory of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta being the first landmark announcing arrival at this great citadel.
The school is established on resounding values of Excellence and Integrity with qualified and experienced staff. The school opened her gates to the public in September 2004 as a fully residential school and in September 2020, day school commenced.
Since the school opened its gates to future leaders in September 2004, the record has it that the school is waxing stronger, churning out excellent students at the end of each 6-year sojourn in the citadel of academic learning.
FUNIS is conducive for learning because of its facilities, quiet and serene learning environment with well-equipped library, standard science, vocational and computer laboratories. The school indeed is a home away from home. Due to the presence of experienced and qualified teaching and non-teaching staff who stand in ‘‘loco parentis’’ to the students, personal attention is given to individual students. With this, each student finds it easy to settle and fit well into the school environment.
To join FUNIS, an applicant must be at least 10 years old. At this stage we believe parents would have inculcated into the child the basic skills of personal hygiene, washing of their own clothes, keeping their surroundings clean, and good writing for note-taking.
At the end of a 6-year sojourn in the school, a total child would have evolved, fully groomed to stand out tall among his/her peers in academics, commitment to duty, high moral values and service to the Nation and mankind.
Enrolment: The school maintains ratio 25 to 1 prescribed classroom arrangement.
- Senior Staff: This category includes teaching and non–teaching staff who are on grade level 6 and above. They are tenure staff.
- Junior Staff: It includes all non–teaching staff that are below grade level 6. They are equally tenure staff.
- Casual Staff: They are non–tenure staff. They are paid wages
The vision of providing a comprehensive secondary school education and moulding the character of young boys and girls who will grow and stand out tall among their peers in academics, commitment to duty, high moral values and service to the nation and mankind.
- To offer FUNAAB staff school leavers as well as other primary school-leavers from all parts of the country a veritable opportunity to continue their education in a university environment that has come to be known for excellence, dynamism and peace.
- To provide the immediate environment of the university the opportunity for quality education.
- To provide a platform on which to mould the character of young ones besides attainment of sound academic excellence and thereby training prospective candidates for admission into tertiary education programmes.
Past and Present Heads of the School
- Mrs. Adeola D. Olumide – Substantive Pioneer Principal (August 2004 – June 2013)
- Mrs. Toyin Juba – Substantive Principal (September 2013 – July 2019)
- Mrs. Emily Okpete – Acting Principal (August 2019 – December 2020)
- Mr. Isaac Ogunbunmi – Substantive Principal (January 2021 – till date)
- Entrance examinations hold three times in a year.
- Pupils are admitted into Junior Secondary (JSS.1) at age 10 and above
- Prospective candidates would have to sit for a competitive entrance examination and if successful would then attend a selection interview.
- The pupil must have attained an acceptable level of proficiency in reading, writing, numeracy and science.
- He/she must have attained an acceptable level of personal hygiene
- He/she must be disciplined, well-behaved and capable of communal living.
- He/she must be able to demonstrate an acceptable level of physical fitness, endurance, and skills expected of any normal child of his/her age group.
The admission policy is therefore designed to give preference to applicants and candidates with basic orientation in these directions.
FUNIS offers a wide range of subjects at both the Junior and Senior Secondary levels which are structured basically in line with the revised National Policy on Education but flexible enough to give each student a broad-based orientation that enables him/her to make a career choice consistent with the aptitude and interest.
Subjects taught at the junior and senior school levels respectively are as follows:
English Language, Mathematics, Yoruba Language, French Language, Agricultural Science, Basic Science, Business Studies, Social Studies, Home Economics, Basic Technology, Computer Studies, CRS, IRS, Cultural and Creative Arts, Physical and Health Education, Music, History.
English Language, Mathematics, Yoruba Language, French Language, Agricultural Science, Physics, Literature in English, Geography, History, Economics, Commerce, Chemistry, Biology, CRS, Government, Technical Drawing, Further Mathematics, Visual Art, Foods & Nutrition, Civic Education, Catering Craft Practice, Information and Communication Technology, Insurance, Financial Accounting, Book-Keeping & Accounts, Government, IRS, History.
In pursuant of developing a balanced child/pupil where the intellectual, moral, and social life are well cared for, a wide range of clubs and societies exist in which pupils would be actively involved. Every pupil will be required to belong to at least one vocational and two interest-based clubs/societies, among which are the following:
Arts and Crafts, Brain Crackers, Chess, Drama, Health and Recreation, Information Technology, Literary and Debating, Cultural Troupe, Star Gazers, Table Tennis, Habitat, Barbers, Current Affairs, French Culture, Press Club, Girl Guide, Library, Home Makers, JETS, Creative Writers, Red Cross Society, Young Farmers.