Research Interest: Lactation Physiology
Between 1992 and 1995 research activities were on poultry production. However, in the last twelve years, tremendous research has been carried out in the field of Animal Physiology. These are:
- Utilization of Unconventional Feed Stuff in Poultry Nutrition (1992-1995)
This project was aimed at substituting unconventional feedstuff like cassava root meal and shrimp waste meal for maize and soybean meal respectively in poultry ration as alternative measure for feed cost reduction without altering the performance of the birds.
- Development of Small Holder Dairy Goat production Systems for South-Western Nigeria (1995-2000)
- Evaluation of udder traits of West African Dwarf, Red Sokoto and Sahel goats.
- Determination of factors affecting changes in udder dimensions in the three breeds during pregnancy and lactation.
- Establishment of relationship between udder traits during pregnancy and lactation and with milk yields in the three breeds.
- Evaluation of milk production of the three breeds.
- Development of equations for modeling and predicting udder growth and regression during pregnancy and lactation respectively in the three breeds.
- Improvement of milk production in Nigerian goat breeds (2001 –till date)
i. Factors affecting milk yield in West African Dwarf goats.
ii. Relationship between teat dimensions and milkability of West African Dwarf and Red Sokoto goats.
iii. Effect of exogenous growth hormone on milk yield and composition in West African Dwarf goats
iv. Effect of exogenous growth hormone on lactation persistency in West African Dwarf goats
v. Effect of exogenous growth hormone on mammary gland histomorphology in West African Dwarf goats
vi. Effect of exogenous growth hormone on mammary gland involution in West African Dwarf goats
vii. Effect of exogenous growth hormone on physiological parameters in lactating West African Dwarf goats.
- Plate 1 Hand milking of West African Dwarf doe
- Plate 2 Drinking of milk by West African Dwarf kid.
- Plate 3 Cup-feeding of milk to West African Dwarf kids
- Plate 4 Posterior of lactating West African Dwarf doe showing the udder
- Plate 5 Udder skins and mammary gland tissues of West African Dwarf does
- Plate 5 Milk yield measurement in West African Dwarf goats
- Plate 6 Bottle-feeding of milk to West African Dwarf kid