We are seeking to recruit a county technical expert (cassava production) to join our team, to interventions that will help increase the average yield of cassava farmers in Nigeria. The post-holder will contribute in the following work areas:
- Develop intervention that will help increase the average yield of cassava farmers by identifying and working closely with the farmers around the selected SMEs/large scale industries and along the value chain plus understanding their issues and constraints and helping to minimize them.
- Work closely with cassava farmers to improve their efficiency and competitiveness in cassava cultivation to avoid glut.
- Link farmers with reliable inputs suppliers and ensure proper usage for desired results.
- Organise regular training of farmers and farmer groups on modern technologies for improved yields and record keeping.
- Develop an understanding of Cassava root price trends and the main factors that impact on it. Record the prices at the main points (farm gate, aggregation points, local markets, village processing centres and factories) in the value chain and, if appropriate, develop a “Market Information System”.
- Undertake any other activities relevant to the achievement of the project objectives as may be assigned by the County Manager.
This specific post will focus on CAVA II project spanning a period of 5 years (April 2014 to 2019). The post will be based in Abeokuta Nigeria. The position will involve frequent travel within Nigeria and occasional travel to other project countries.
Qualifications and experience: University degree in Agronomy, Crop Production, Crop Protection or Plant breeding or related fields is required. Minimum of five years cognate experience in cassava cultivation and building of groups is essential. Demonstrated knowledge of the constraints of working with smallholders farmers who provide raw materials for industrial processing is important. Fluency in English language is required. Good drafting and communication skills.
Salary and allowances are competitive.
Last Updated on May 28, 2014 by admin