To be a Centre of Excellence in knowledge generation, towards global development and the sustainability of an environment-friendly society.
To build great leaders, found worthy in learning and character.
To generate and advance knowledge through teaching, learning and provision of excellent learning conditions.
To contribute to sustainable development through community engagements. .
The distinguishing feature of UNAAB’s mandate is its tripodal nature, comprising teaching, research and extension functions. These are adequately emphasized in the 13-point objectives of the University and the Academic Brief that was prepared for the take-off of the University. The objectives are:
- To encourage the advancement of learning and to hold out all persons without discrimination based race, creed, sex and political conviction, the opportunity of acquiring a higher education on agriculture.
- To develop and offer academic and professional programmes leading to the award of diplomas, first degree, postgraduate research and higher degrees which emphasize planning, adaptive technical maintenance, developmental and productive skills in agriculture, agricultural engineering and allied professional disciplines with the aim of producing socially mature persons with capacity to improve on those disciplines and develop new ones, but also to contribute to the scientific transformation of agriculture in Nigeria.
- To act as agents and catalysts, through postgraduate training, research and innovation for effective and economic utilization, exploitation and conservation of Nigeria’s natural agricultural, economic and human resources.
- To offer to the general population, as a form of public service, the results of training and research in agriculture and allied disciplines and to foster the practical application of those results.
- To establish appropriate relationships with other national institutions involved in training, research and development in agriculture.
- To identify the agricultural problems and needs of Nigeria and to find solutions to them within the context of overall national development.
- To provide and promote sound basic scientific training as a foundation for the development of agriculture and allied disciplines, taking into account indigenous culture, the need to enhance national unity, the need to vastly increase the practical content of student training, and adequate preparation of graduates of self employment in agriculture and allied professions.
- To promote and emphasize teaching, research and extension of agricultural knowledge including agricultural extension services and outreach progrmmes, in-service training continuing education and on-farm adaptive research.
- To offer academic programmes in relation to the training of manpower for agriculture in Nigeria.
- To organize research relevant to agriculture with emphasis on small scale farming.
- To organize extension services and out-reach programmes for technology transfer.
- To establish institutional linkages in order to foster collaboration and integration of training, research and extension activities.
- To undertake any other activities appropriate for Universities of Agriculture.